They were rescued by a she-wolf who cared for them until a herdsman, Faustulus, found and raised them.The Capitoline Wolf has been housed since 1471 in the Palazzo dei Conservatori on the Campidoglio (the ancient Capitoline Hill), Rome, Italy.The oldest is Livy's report of one set up at the foot of the Palatine Hill in 295 B. Cicero also mentions a statue of the she-wolf as one of a number of sacred objects on the Capitoline that had been inauspiciously struck by lightning in the year 65 BC: "it was a gilt statue on the Capitol of a baby being given suck from the udders of a wolf." It was widely assumed that the Capitoline Wolf was the very sculpture described by Cicero, due to the presence of damage to the sculpture's paw, which was believed to correspond to the lightning strike of 65 BC.The 18th-century German art historian Johann Joachim Winckelmann attributed the statue to an Etruscan maker in the 5th century BC, based on how the wolf's fur was depicted.The Capitoline Wolf (Italian: Lupa Capitolina) is a bronze sculpture of a she-wolf suckling twin human infants, inspired by the legend of the founding of Rome.
Winckelmann correctly identified a Renaissance origin for the twins; they were probably added in 1471 or later.
The wolf is depicted in a tense, watchful pose, with alert ears and glaring eyes watching for danger.
By contrast, the human twins - executed in a completely different style - are oblivious to their surroundings, absorbed by their suckling.
The age and origin of the Capitoline Wolf is a subject of controversy.
The statue was long thought to be an Etruscan work of the 5th century BC, The sculpture is somewhat larger than life-size, standing 75 cm high and 114 cm long.
During the 19th century, a number of researchers questioned Winckelmann's dating of the bronze.